Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Perspective

I think that, at least to some extent, it’s human nature to be a little self-centered. I mean, we’re each the center of our own universe, generally-speaking, right? So, whatever trials and tribulations we’re going through are the ones that really register with us. And there’s that old adage that, “Just because you lost a toe doesn’t mean it doesn’t hurt if I stub mine.” And that’s true. Just because someone else’s hurt is “worse” doesn’t mean that ours doesn’t exist or isn’t valid, does it? Of course not.
That said, a nice dose of perspective is generally a good thing. It’s good to be reminded of our blessings, particularly the ones we might take for granted, or that we don’t show the appreciation we should.

For instance, I was reading the on line journal some friends of mine are keeping for their daughter, who was an ultra-premie and who is back in the hospital for some surgeries. I came across a guest book entry written by a friend of theirs who is also the mother of an ultra-premie. She mentioned how she will pray that their daughter is able to begin eating, and begin to enjoy eating. And she mentioned how so many other parents take that for granted, and that she hopes all the parents who read the journal take a moment to thank God for their healthy children. This really hit home with me today, since I’ve spent this week kind of stressing over my suddenly quite fresh and head strong 21 month old. It’s not that I take his health for granted, per se. I do think I’ve been frightened enough by his hospital visits to feel truly appreciative of every healthy day he has. But it did get me thinking that, in the grand scheme of things, a little freshness isn’t really something to get worked up over. I mean…sure, it kind of blows when he wants nothing to do with me. And yea, each of his shouts of, “NO, MAMA!” generally accompanied by a “go away” hand gesture, breaks my heart a little bit. But the fact is, he’s a healthy, smart little boy who is developing well enough to GET that he wants nothing to do with Mommy right now, and that Mommy is the disciplinarian and therefore, the Ruiner of Fun. And really…there are worse things than that.

As I’m writing this entry, my sister has just called to tell me she just spotted a new molar in B’s mouth, too. So, in terms of the boy’s being a tad cantankerous, this goes a long way toward explanation. See? There’s always a reason.

It really is so important to keep a sense of perspective. Loss of perspective is also why I’ve spent my entire week playing referee to a group of adults (here at work). Let’s just all take a moment to appreciate our blessings, if we haven’t yet today.

No comments: