Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Conflicted

I feel conflicted about the Senate election that just went to Scott Brown here in MA. I'm still registered in New Hampshire because that is our permanent address, so I didn't vote, and I'm kind of grateful that I couldn't because I didn't really feel comfortable with my options. Martha Coakley did some things as DA and AG that didn't sit well with me, as a voter. And I feel like she threw the election away by being out of touch (calling Curt Schilling a Yankees fan, misspelling the name of the state...). Meanwhile, Scott Brown wants to make IVF non-mandatory for insurance coverage in MA, which frankly enrages me. (It is currently covered.) The third option, Joe Kennedy, received 1% of the vote. So.

And a lot of people on the conservative side of the aisle are taking this election as a referendum on Obama's presidency. And while I do think that is probably part of what happened, I think theres much more to it than that. Americans voted Obama in in 2008 because they were unhappy with the way things were going and they wanted change. And I think that's still coming into play now. This election wasn't a rejection of the Democratic party as much as it was a rejection of the way things have been going. That's just one woman's opinion.


1 comment:

rb said...

I've been giving it some thought and I keep coming back to the same place...it was a referendum on health care. Nothing more, nothing less. Just one disheartened gal's opinion.