Friday, December 10, 2010

Speaking of Uncanny Memories...

I had a doctor's appointment yesterday, and of course my constant companion was with me. When we pulled into the parking lot, he said, "No crying, Mommy." And I told him, "No, I won't cry." He followed up with, "You cried last time, when Daddy was here." (He was referring to the day of the ultra-sound that revealed the miscarriage.) And I said, "Yes, I did." He said, "That scared me." And I said, "I know it did, and I'm so sorry." He said, "That's ok. You were sad. But! No crying today!" So I agreed I wouldn't cry. Which I didn't.

He is so much like me, this way. He takes in and remembers everything. Which, of course, is a huge part of the reason I am so racked with guilt, still, that he was there for that. Of course we couldn't have known. But I should have. I should have been more insistent, but I was so scared and tired I wasn't thinking straight. So, I guess the best I can say is...lesson learned.

No comments: