Thursday, April 7, 2011

If I Were a Sociology Grad/Post-grad Student...

I've been thinking quite a bit lately about the new war on women in the U.S. Recent developments, like the changes in recommendations on routine breast screenings, the all out war on Planned Parenthood (where women do NOT, contrary to ignorant belief only receive abortions, but routine pap smears, cancer screenings, birth control, education and a host of other services), the ridiculous proposals in Congress for things like IRS investigations of abortions to assure they were paid for "properly" and investigations of miscarriages to make sure they were "spontaneous"...the list goes on. What I wonder is, where does this resentment come from? The proposals I've read about have all come from men. In the GOP. Mostly in the southern and midwestern parts of the country. Hmm. So...here's what occurs to me.

These areas are also among the hardest hit in the current economic crisis. Not that we haven't ALL been hit hard, but just bear with me for a minute. Since 2008, we've probably all read about rampant unemployment and how it has had a far greater impact on male breadwinners than anyone else, right? We've probably all read about how women are, for the first time in history, taking on a greater role in this country as breadwinners, because they are cheaper (on the whole) to employ than men are and have therefore been less likely to lose jobs. Not to mention that the direct-sales industry, of which I'm a part and can attest, has grown during this period, because it's such a great way for a woman to support her family or to supplement lost income while still being a caretaker for her family.

Do you see yet where I'm going with this? Maybe the resentment comes from a feeling of futility. A feeling of losing power. A feeling that the longstanding fear of men around the U.S. - that women would "take over" is coming true for many of them. I mean, it just can't be a coincidence, can it?

So, that's what is making me wish I were in some kind of program in which I could study this phenomenon for a dissertation. Fascinating stuff, and I'm pretty certain I'm onto something here.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

I understand a good bit of what you mean, but I see the source of the problem a bit differently.

The South and the Mid-West may have been hit quite hard by the recession, but they are also the most religious areas of the country, as well as the most conservative, historically speaking. The defunding of Planned Parenthood has its roots in the following argument: "I don't want my tax dollars funding something that I disagree with on a fundamental, religious level".

I am not one to argue that Planned Parenthood offers a plethora of services for women, only one of which is the voluntary early termination of pregnancy. And sure, that one objectionable service only accounts for maybe 5% of PP's annual income - but would you want to pay for something that was 5% evil? I doubt it.

The fact remains that Obama, in his first Health Care Reform, had to go back and sign a specific executive order just to make sure that the $7 billion in funding to Community Health Centers (CHC's) was also subject to the Hyde Amendment, a law (which must be ratified annually) that ensures that all congressionally allocated funds to CHC's are not used to fund abortions, execpt in certain circumstances. So there is reason for members of the right to be wary of federal funds headed towards CHC's, otherwise loopholes can be created, either by design or lack of due diligence.

Another large role in this PP issue is the idea that my tax dollars are going to subsidize other people's bad choices. This has been a major platform of the Tea Party. Remember the whole health care debacle? Or the bailouts? People are tired of their money going to bail out people who have made bad decisions. Didn't pay your mortgage? Not my problem. Don't have health insurance? Not my problem. Didn't wrap it up? Good thing there's adoption.

Granted, the above paragraph totally leaves out all the other wonderful things CHC's bring to a community.

Also to consider - most of the recent inertia to defund PP came after proof of them accepting blatantly racist donations. PP's own inception is steeped in racism. According to the founder of PP, Margaret Sanger, was a devout eugenecist, who published reports stating things like "The Negro population is genetically inferior" and "is producing human weeds". Now, what part of the country has the highest concentration of African American citizens? Ah, the South.

And the call for the Government to actually audit where its money goes and how it is actually being used, especially when a law has specifically been passed, and is reratified every year, to underscore the desire of citizens that the money only be used towards specific services - this is in no way an attack on women. I'm sorry, it's just not. I am having difficulty coming up with any word to describe that other than 'prudent'.

Yes, there is vilification of women happening, especially of conservative women. But some people in America just believe that PP is evil, and don't want their tax dollars being used to keep it around.

MommyWriter said...

Well, I see your point, but for starters, lots and lots and lots of people I know think the war in Iraq is AT LEAST 5% evil, and yet...tax dollars. Paying for it. For years now. Personally, I never fully agreed with the mission there, but have always felt that the most important thing is to support our men and women there, and that's my priority.

Also, it sounds as though you don't have any women in your life who have ever needed the affordable health care and cancer screenings/prevention that PP provides, and I'm sure you're grateful for that! The women in my life haven't always been so fortunate, and I'm glad they had PP to turn to for life saving screenings and care. And again, to be extra clear, since perhaps I was not in the original post, I am NOT talking about abortion.

Unknown said...

Yes, I am incredibly grateful that the fantastic women in my life have all been very fortunate. Also, I currently live in a country that has socialized healthcare.

It is my personal (albeit unprovable) belief that if PP did not offer abortions, there would be no outcry to yank its federal funding. All of the outcry from the right over PP comes from their abortion services, and not from any of the other fantastic things they do for women.

As for the war in Iraq, I totally see your point as well - and people protest and say that we should bring the troops home, prosecute Bush, GTFO of Iraq, etc, on that side as well. They disagree very strongly with their tax dollars going to support something they see as evil.

Oh, and btw, WOOOOT! Glenn Beck got fired! Happiest day of my life!

MommyWriter said...

Yes, I definitely agree. The outcry is as a result of the abortion services; my issue is that I truly think many people don't realize there's more to what they do. So, I feel like, if I can make people aware of that, then at least they're making a more informed decision.

Oh, Glenn Beck's firing is good for everyone - liberals because they hate him and conservatives because he makes them look like hateful ignoramuses. So, I second your woot.