Wednesday, April 1, 2015

ADHD in the House

When I graduated from college and moved to Atlanta, I got a job at a school that specialized in individualized education for students with ADD/ADHD. From the get-go, it felt pre-destined. I've never worked anywhere that felt quite so much like where I was meant to be. (Although where I work now for sure comes close.)

I'm a believer that everything, or at least the big stuff, happens for a reason. And I'm discovering the reason for my teaching experience.

I think I've alluded in previous posts to my suspicions that B has ADHD. Having spent a good chunk of time amongst ADHDers, there were behaviors of his that were eerily familiar. This week, we got the official recommendation from his teachers that we get the diagnosis. And even knowing it was coming, it was hard to swallow.

Not because there is anything wrong with ADHD. On the contrary, there are people who have meant a great deal to me in my life - who have been and are among my favorite people on this planet, who have ADHD. But that's just it. Because these people mean so much to me, I know that there are things that come harder to people with ADHD.

Yes, education has made great strides in accommodating this increasingly common learning style. Even in the 15 years since I left the school, huge strides have been made. But it's still a huge challenge that he'll face. Whether the official diagnosis is ADHD or something else. It'll be a challenge. And what parent doesn't dread her child's challenges?

We are looking into dietary modifications to address what's going on with him. I am optimistic that will make a difference. And we'll continue down the road toward a formal diagnosis. We'll see where we end up. Stay tuned.

In the meantime, tonight, I'm feeling so very grateful for all my kiddos from back in the day, for teaching me so much about how best to help my B. I knew back then that they were special and meaningful to me, but I don't think I could've understood how much, until now.

No comments: