Saturday, August 4, 2018

Five

Yesterday was the fifth anniversary of my Dad's death. Five years. It seems inconceivable. Yet, here we are. B has now lived as much life without his Papa as he did with him. E is an entirely different human from the toddler he knew. Big E's and my lives are different in so very many ways.

Five years feels like some sort of milestone. And yet, in grieving terms, it's a pretty long time. And there's this societal expectation that grieving, like, ends or something, as time passes. And that expectation is horse shit. Because grieving evolves, but it doesn't end.

This week was a really rough week. I had some stuff I was working on that I was really struggling with. The line of work I'm in doesn't come naturally to me. I struggle with it a lot. It's similar to the line of work I was in for 10 years when I was younger. And back then, it stripped me of my confidence completely, and I'm not prepared to allow that to happen again. But I also don't want to give up until I get to where I want to be. So, this week sucked. And what sucked the most was that the person who could most have helped me, both from a practical standpoint, and just from a supportive, advice giving standpoint, is gone. In fact, at one point this week, I'd decided I SHOULD just quit. And I was driving, and a cardinal all but dive bombed my car. So. I guess that was his way of telling me I'm not quitting. So, I'm not quitting. But I found myself being really angry at him in the moment. Which was weird.

B has become a really good athlete. He plays football (D-end, just like my Dad), baseball (loves catcher like my Dad did), among others. I think all the time about how much my Dad would've LOVED watching him play.

And then there's E. I think all the time about how proud he would've been at her courage and her determined positivity.

This is not even to mention his other nine grandchildren, four of whom he never met.

It blows. And it doesn't stop hurting. It gets less raw and sharp, sure. But it doesn't go away.

People handle loss and grieving in different ways. I handle it by talking about him and writing about him and keeping his memory alive. I guess in some ways, the loss of him is kind of a defining part of who I am, for better or worse (worse - all worse). I know that some of my family members wouldn't even think of putting pieces of writing out there, particularly after five years. But this is my process. Always has been, probably always will be.

Miss you, Papa. We're all ok.

No comments: