Friday, March 7, 2008

Insomnia

Not being able to sleep sucks. I know of what I speak here, because I've had insomnia in varying degrees for most of my life. Actually, probably all of my life, since some of my earliest memories are of not being able to sleep. I've read that insomnia is fairly common among writers. I can't help but wonder if it's partly the insomnia that fuels the being a writer. I mean, there's not much to do at 3:30 in the morning, so...why not write? Plus, for most insomniacs, the whole problem is that there are so many thoughts swirling around in there that our minds can't calm down enough to fall asleep. So, maybe getting some of those thoughts out in the form of words helps us get to sleep? I don't know. What I do know is that it's completely maddening to be exhausted and not be able to get to sleep. Tonight, I was absolutely toast when I finished work. I came home, had dinner, packed for our trip this weekend and went to bed. I was so relieved to get into bed. I slept three hours, my son woke me, and I haven't been able to get back to sleep since. And now, I have to be up in a half hour for our crazy early flight, so it's not even worth going back to sleep. An ongoing conundrum in these parts.

BTW - I guess it was yesterday now, but it was my husband's birthday Thursday. Happy Birthday, Bub! :)

No comments: