Sunday, January 18, 2009

Birthdays

This week, I'll turn 33. THIRTY THREE! Holy crap. Thirty three, like Larry Bird or Jason Varitek. Only an age, not a uniform number.

The week of my birthday always makes me kind of introspective. I guess that's probably pretty common. I think about my past birthdays and what is different this year. And I always think about the birthday ten years before, too. I don't know why, but looking at my life that way is kind of interesting to me.

The week of my 23rd birthday was a really fun, active, interesting week for me. Among the things I remember about that week - I went to a strip club for the first time, I spent my birthday at an outdoor bar for the first time (I was living in Atlanta), I made two friends - one who is still in my life and one who is not.

In particular, I remember that it was unseasonably warm, even for Atlanta, that January. It was up in the 60's and even low 70's several days, including my birthday. My friends and I went to the Dunwoody Tavern (which, unbenknownst to me then would become my second workplace...and the most fun workplace I've ever had) and sat on the patio for beers...and birthday shots. I thought that was about the coolest thing ever, because having grown up in Massachusetts, a scenario like that for my birthday was practically unimaginable. It was one of my favorite birthdays ever, even still...and I've had some SERIOUSLY good birthdays.

Last year, my birthday was the day before I returned to work from maternity leave. This was NOT one of my favorite birthdays. I was so terrified of leaving B, and so miserable at the thought of returning to my job. It all turned out all right, of course. I probably should've just relaxed.

This year, I'm hoping for a good year. Thirty two was great in a lot of ways, but it was a hard year. I was working through a lot of "stuff." And I feel now like I'm ready to apply some of what I learned this past year, so I hope I get to.

No comments: