Monday, January 5, 2009

Remembrance

Today, my sister in law had to attend her brother's funeral. I mean, not alone; she is the youngest of five, and her whole family (and some of mine) were there, too, obviously. But it's my sister in law in particular I'm thinking of at the moment. I have three brothers, and they are three of the most amazing people I know. Perhaps I'm biased, but this is my blog, so I can make such assertions unquestioned if I like. And I do. Anyway, my point is, I just can't imagine the infinite sadness I would feel to lose one of my brothers. It would be so truly awful. (I...can't even get into the hypothetical of losing my sister, here. I honestly think I'd have a panic attack at the mere contemplation. So.) My brothers are sources of intellectual challenge, of humor, of support and of humility (they willingly knock me down a few pegs if I need it). Each of them fills a different place in my heart, and then there are places they share. I need all three of them to make me who I am. So, with that in mind, I send so much love and prayer to my sister in law and her family, who have lost one of their brothers. That is a sad thing.

And her brother was a wonderful, smart, intensely positive man. I only met him a few times, but you didn't need to spend long in his presence to ascertain what a genuinely sunny person he was. Terminally ill and in perpetual pain, I don't know that I ever saw him without a friendly smile on his face. He was one of those people who really puts life into perspective for everyone around him. You think to yourself, "Well, shit. If he's smiling, I'd better quit wallowing in my petty dramas and smile back!" What a gift. He will be missed and remembered, always.

No comments: