Friday, February 10, 2012

Gratitude

A friend of mine posted this morning about a friend of hers who passed away a year ago today, from breast cancer. She was 32 years old and had a six month old baby. That? Is a tragedy. My heart goes out to her family, and to her, because I can imagine the pain of knowing you would never get to see that baby grow up (at least not here in the physical plain). It sucks.

And, having a six month old myself, it is a really good reminder of WHY it is so important to be grateful for every single day I have with my precious girl (and my boy, too). Even the miserable days are DAYS. We would all do well to remember that.

I also have a dear friend from college who is battling ovarian cancer, and I know she's going to kick its ass into next week. Part of the reason I know that? Because this is a woman who is REALLY GOOD at living in the now and appreciating life.

Gratitude is a powerful tool. It can change your entire perspective. Days I wake up and remember to take  a minute to review all the things I'm grateful for are consistently better (by a large margin) than days I wake up and allow myself to feel beaten down.

Listen, I don't mean to preach here. I'm not in a position to lecture anyone. Just some observations for a Friday morning...especially since it being Friday topped my list this morning.

No comments: