Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Disappointment

**UPDATE** The Komen Foundation has backed off the decision to cut this funding. Another success for online activism!

*****
Ten years ago this spring, my mom and I participated in the Avon Breast Cancer 3 Day. This was before the Komen Walk (3 Day) and the Avon Walk (2 Day) split into two separate events. It was among the most amazing experiences I've ever had. I credit it with cementing my adult relationship with my mother, as well as kick-starting a weight loss and fitness regimen that carried through the remainder of my twenties (though I need to get BACK into THAT now...digression).

My maternal grandmother died of Breast Cancer in 1971. I never knew her. Breast cancer is a very personal thing to so many of us, myself included.

And that is why it breaks my heart that I won't be able to support Komen anymore. I just cannot justify supporting a supposed charitable organization that is pulling funding to the largest single provider of free breast cancer screenings in the United States.

Believe me, I understand why. I understand why people have such an issue with Planned Parenthood. Abortion is a deeply felt issue on both sides of the argument, and there is no easy resolution. My personal views have been made clear repeatedly in this space so I won't go into that again now.

But here's the thing. Komen was NOT funding abortions at PP. I know for a fact that PP is very careful about assigning their donations and grants. They have to be because every cent is examined. So, I can say with a measure of certainty that Komen was, in fact, funding BREAST EXAMS. And now they're not. Which is shameful and embarrassing, and the reason I will have to pull MY support of THAT organization. Luckily for me (and those like me), there are lots of other places to donate to help eradicate breast cancer.

I guess if I ever walk again, I'll stick with Avon. Unless they do something equally boneheaded, that is.

No comments: