Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Eureka!

We may have had a breakthrough with B's breathing issues. Today, we went to the pediatrician for the follow up to his latest hospital stay. We discussed a lot of things, including a maintenance plan to avoid flare ups, potential ideas for pinpointing triggers, etc. At one point, the NP said, "Have you ever tried soy formula with him?" I told her that we hadn't. She said, "Well, several of my kids had a very tough time with milk and milk-based formulas. It made them wheeze, even if I had milk while breastfeeding." And it was like a lightbulb went off. I mean...I'm lactose intolerant. B's cousin had to drink soy formula beause he couldn't take the milk-based, AND most importantly (perhaps), his allergy symptoms definitely started to flare up right around the time we introduced formula. I mean, it wasn't immediate enough that it's definitely the cause, because I think if it had been, we all would've picked up on it immediately. But it wasn't the first time that the formula connection entered my head, either. And when I told my Mom about it, she told me it'd occurred to her, too. So, we're trying soy formula today and we'll see whether it makes a difference. I have a feeling it will. So...next time, I'll listen more closely to my mother's intuition.

No comments: