Monday, June 8, 2009

Little Man

So, as I've already said here, work has been stressful lately. Not in any unusual way, really, just busy and harried and stressy. One of the things (among the many) that I'm working on is to be better about leaving work at work. I tend to be a sensitive and highly stressed person (also something I'm working on in a more general sense) and as a result, I often end up stressing at night and over weekends about stuff that's going on at work. It's a ridiculous thing to do, and I know it. But I've been in one stressful role after another, often with bosses who couldn't let go, and as a result, I've developed this bad habit.

But one thing that has made and continues to make it easier to forget work when I'm not here is B. What better way is there to forget your troubles than to come home to a smiling little menace who lunges at you joyfully and demands your full attention for the entire time he's in your presence? It is such a wonderful thing to just let go of whatever petty stress I feel, in favor of watching B tear around the house, running and climbing with exuberance and joy. When he lunges at me for an aggressively affectionate hug or kiss, my troubles melt away.

When I wake up in the morning and psyche myself up for the day by thinking about the things in my life that make me feel happy and grateful, my boys always top the list. Picturing B's smiling little face and hilarious run-walk make it possible to get out of bed on those days when, otherwise, I might want to just stay there.

No comments: