Sunday, February 14, 2010

Desperate Love

I recently finished reading Shelter Me by Juliette Fay. MAN, what a heartbreaking, beautiful, enthralling story that was. I emphasize the heartbreaking; I recommend the read, but go in knowing it's gut-wrenching in spots...which isn't much of a surprise if you read the premise blurb on the back.

One thing I particularly related to is that the main character, when faced with one of the most crushing experiences life has to offer (the loss of a spouse - again, not a spoiler - it's the book's premise), reacts with rage. She is pissed, and she's not afraid to let those around her know it. And I have a sneaking suspicion that in her shoes, I would probably mirror her biting sarcasm. Hope to God we never find out, because the people in her life are way, way more patient with it than those in mine would ever be.

Anyway, there is one line in particular that really stuck with me. "A parent's love is the most desperate thing there is." That line....it's just so true. That is precisely the way I feel. I love B desperately. I worry for him and hope for him and crave his love in return in a much more urgent and needy way than I ever did with another adult. It's kind of hard to explain, but that line captures it as well as anything I've seen.

No comments: