Monday, March 29, 2010

Change Is Scary...

I've been trying for days to write this post. But it's like I have so many thoughts that I can't get them in order to write anything coherent. So...I quit my job. I gave my notice last Monday and my last day is next Monday, April 5th. And then I'll be a stay at home Mom....at least mostly.

I started at my company over nine years ago. I never meant to stay there for nine years. I thought I'd work there for a bit, gain some experience, move on. But life's a funny thing, isn't it? We just can't quite predict the roads we'll go down. And so, instead of moving on outside the company, I moved on within it. I had several positions, several managers; some were good, some not so good. I had friends. Lots of them.

In the end, though, it wasn't the place I felt at home. The best way I can think to describe it is that I feel like I spent all those years trying to make my brain work in a different way than it naturally does. Trying to make it fit. But more than that, my place is with my son. And that drove the decision more than anything else.

I'm terrified by this huge change. I've worked since I was a teenager. I've made my own money. And although I'll continue to work part time, it won't be quite the same. But I know it will be worth the trade offs. I will get to do the thing that makes me feel fulfilled.

This really isn't my most articulate post, but that's the scoop. More to come when I feel a little less muddled.

No comments: