Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Best Thing

One of the best things about life is also one of the scariest things. Unpredictability. We can't predict the future. But doesn't that also mean we're not tied to any specific future? See? Awesome and scary.

I used to visit psychics a lot. There was one in particular I used to see in college. I loved going to her, because she would talk about my future in such wonderful terms. I'm a hopeless romantic and was hopeless romantically in college, so her descriptions of the great love I would find in the future were enormously appealing. She got a pretty major detail wrong, which doesn't matter at all now, although it fed my romantic fantasies in unrealistic ways for many years. But then again, that fantasy person got me through a lot of rough times, so I guess that served its purpose.

But the love I found is so different in so many ways from what she or any psychic ever described. And it's still as amazing as I could've dreamed.

All this by way of saying I wasn't locked into that future she saw. Nor am I locked into ANY future. The possibilities are endless. Just because I or someone else foresaw some specific thing for me doesn't mean that specific thing HAS to happen. I can decide on a future for myself and make it happen, and that's as freeing as it is terrifying.

And so, just because to this point, I haven't fully been able to foresee the future I want professionally, that doesn't mean it can't happen. It just means I need to visualize what I want and go after it with everything I've got.

No comments: