Monday, September 15, 2008

Life Really Is Short

Tonight, I feel sad for a family I don't actually know. I've heard a lot about them, but I've never had the chance to meet them. But on Friday, they lost their mother. She was 34. Just two years older than I am. Now, a young father and his little boy are on their own, without mommy. And of course, as a mother myself, all I can think of is what if it were my little boy who was feeling devastated at the loss of his mother? And it breaks my heart. It absolutely breaks my heart.

It is very difficult to find anything positive in a situation like this. Very difficult. But I think we have to try, don't we? Otherwise, what's the point? The only positive I think I can find is that things like this are reminders that life really is short. And it really is precious. And it really is so important to be thankful for every, single day with the people we love. I am thankful every day that I come home to my little boy, but I have been especially thankful the past few days. Because every day that I don't have to tell him goodbye really is such a gift.

No comments: