Friday, September 26, 2008

Dancin'

I've written before about my son's reactions to a couple of special songs. He loves music. He dances, he sings along (wordlessly thus far), he becomes even more joyful than normal. His reaction is exactly what I would've hoped it would be, basically. Coming from a family in which music is enormously important (my grandfather is the proverbial "leader of the band"), I hoped he would inherit that elemental appreciation, and he has. One of my favorite things is to put on a song I really love and dance with him and sing to him. To my great excitement, it seems to be one of his favorite things, too. I love this. For me, music is one of those things that can completely change my day. When I get into a black funk like I did earlier this week, one of the ways it can lift is if I can find that right song on my way home. That can literally turn my whole day around. And I'm so glad the same seems to be true for B. When he's really, super fussy, particularly when we're doing his nebulizer treatment, and I start to sing 'You Are My Sunshine' he immediately settles down. Anyone who knows me knows the significance of this song throughout my life, but this is just one more chapter of the story between us.

No comments: