Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Scary Times

So, you know, the market tanked today. AGAIN. And some more. Now, I'm watching the presidential debate. The two candidates seem well-intentioned enough. But let's be honest here. Neither of them is really being effected by this economic situation. And neither of them truly understands it, either.

I'm not voting based on economics. I AM hoping that whoever is elected will help to fix this mess. And I AM hoping that someday I have enough money that economics drives my vote. But I don't yet. I vote on my beliefs. And a lot of those are socially based. And THAT is why I will vote Democrat. Because, even more than McCain, Sarah Palin frightens me. She frightens me in her inability to answer simple questions asked by journalists who are internationally renowned for being softball interviewers, sure. But more than that, MUCH more than that, she scares me in her complete disregard for reality and common sense. Creationism? No abortions, even in the case of rape or incest? No funding for rape treatments at hospitals? No sex education beyond abstinence only programs (which her own family proves to be ineffective)? Marriage is okay for 17 year olds who don't want to marry each other, but not for people who were born homosexual? I just...no. Go away, lady. Go away, fast.

As a woman, the very thought that her presence on a ticket would persuade me to vote for that ticket is highly, highly offensive. If McCain had chosen someone like Joe Lieberman as a running mate, I would've considered voting for him. But with this wing nut? Not even a shadow of a chance.

No comments: